Last November, Liverpool’s interest in KRC Genk’s Bilal El Khannouss was reported by Corriere dello Sport.
According to the latest update from Het Laatste Nieuws, Liverpool remain an interested party in the player.
In a report on Sunday, Marca revealed that Atlético Madrid are considering three candidates to strengthen their squad in the winter market, and Bilal El Khannouss, the Liverpool target, is among them.
HLN relayed Marca’s report and added their perspective, stating that both Liverpool and Atlético Madrid are considering a move for the Genk’s “golden boy.”
Die reported formidable competition awaiting Diego Simeone’s team includes Bayer Leverkusen and, notably, Liverpool.
Scouts from Jürgen Klopp’s squad have observed the 19-year-old closely and are thoroughly convinced of his potential. Consequently, Anfield club officials have initiated contact regarding the Morocco international.
El Khannouss, the attacking midfielder, is currently under contract until 2027, with reports suggesting a strong likelihood he’ll make top transfer in the upcoming summer.
Dimitri De Condé, Genk’s director, had previously conveyed to HLN in November that the club are targeting a substantial profit from the sale of El Khannouss.
“I have always said to Bilal and his entourage that we believe he should become the most expensive outgoing transfer in Belgian football,” he said.
El Khannouss’ mother, Karima Ben Aissa, who is also his agent, confirmed contacts with interested parties.
“We are in contact with a few clubs. It doesn’t necessarily have to be a big name. Playing minutes take precedence,” she told HLN last week.
In other Liverpool news, Two Deals Liverpool Should Consider Before the January Transfer Window Deadline